'Tis the season for all things merry and bright...and boozy! If you're looking for the perfect winter cocktail to serve this year, you'll be sure to find it here. Add one of these to your holiday dinner lineup or enjoy one solo while you binge watch holiday rom-coms (we won't judge)!
Here are 5 festive cocktails we'll be trying this season:
You know the classic espresso martini that's making its widely-loved comeback? Well this one has a subtle twist that makes it creamy and even more delicious! Knock out your food coma with this cozy chai espresso martini.
Chai Honey Syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 bags chai tea
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla sugar, for rim (optional)
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) Kahlua
- 1 ounce espresso
- 1 ounce canned coconut milk
- Grated nutmeg and star anise, for serving (optional)
1. For the chai honey syrup: In a medium pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the chai tea bags, cover and steep 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags and add the honey. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 3-5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla. Let cool. This syrup makes enough for about 6 drinks.
2. If desired, rim your glass with vanilla sugar.
3. In a cocktail shaker, combine 1-2 tablespoons chai syrup, vodka, Kahlua, espresso, and coconut milk.
4. Add ice and shake vigorously for 1 minute.
5. Strain into the prepared glass. Garnish with grated nutmeg and star anise, if desired.
Another cocktail classic with a *spicy* kick to it! Everyone loves a good margarita, and with this spicy festive version you don't have to wait till Taco Tuesday to make it.
- 2 oz tequila of choice (skip for a mocktail)
- 1 oz orange juice apple works too!
- 1/2 oz agave or simple syrup
- 1 lime
- 2 jalapeno slices
- Dash of cinnamon
- Tajin or salt for rim
Shake up all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
Coat the rim of your glass with lime juice and coat in tajin or salt.
Pour mixture over ice and enjoy!
- If you'd like, take some freshly rinsed and wet cranberries and roll in sugar for a frosted cranberry garnish!
If you like bubbles, this one's for you! It's simple as can be and it'll impress your guests with its bold red color and combination of sweet and spice.
- 2 slices peeled ginger, muddled
- 3/4 oz grapefruit juice
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1 1/2 oz gin
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 3 oz sparkling wine
- Garnish: grapefruit slice, rosemary sprig, whole cranberries
- Muddle ginger with juices
- Add all ingredients except sparkling wine. Shake and strain into a coupe or flute.
- Top with sparkling wine, garnish, and enjoy!
Channel your inner child with a cup of hot chocolate, only this time with a little more fun! This boozy hot chocolate is just the thing for a cozy night in.
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz dark chocolate (60%)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 oz bourbon
- 2 oz frangelico
- 2 oz irish cream
- In a small sauce pan heat milk, sugar, salt and vanilla over medium-low heat until sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Make sure the milk does not come to a boil.
- Add the chocolate in pieces, whisking until completely incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Once removed from heat, stir in bourbon, frangelico and Irish cream.
- Serve immediately with marshmallows!
Driven Snow Cocktail from Country Living
Rum isn't just a summer liquor! This rum based cocktail is a sweet and cozy drink that everyone at your holiday party will be sipping on. Just add a gingerbread cookie for the full effect!
- Finely-crushed candy canes
- 1 1/2 oz. white chocolate liqueur
- 1 oz. blackstrap rum
- 1/2 oz. ginger liqueur
- Dip the rim of a glass in water, then in finely crushed candy canes.
- Combine white chocolate liqueur, blackstrap rum, ginger liqueur, and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously, then strain into prepared glass.
- Serve garnished with a bite-size gingerbread cookie, if desired!